Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Panini producing 26-card set for Super Bowl XLVII
Posted Jan 22, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:34 PM
If you are fortunate enough to have tickets to Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans (or, if you’re heading to the Big Easy just to have a good time), Panini America has created one more memento for the big game.
On Tuesday, Panini announced it is creating a special 26-card set. Eight cards will honor the 49ers, eight will pay tribute to the Ravens, and eight more will acknowledge the hometown New Orleans Saints.
The last two cards are limited edition patch cards for the big game – one dedicated to Super Bowl XLVII and the other to New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who was the most valuable player in the Saints’ Super Bowl XLIV triumph against the Colts.
Naturally, the opposing quarterbacks — San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick and Baltimore’s Joe Flacco — will be included in the set.
Other 49ers stars to be features are Navorro Bowman, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Colin Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Justin Smith and Patrick Willis.
In addition to Flacco, Ravens players will include Anquan Boldin, Jacoby Jones, Vonta Leach, Ray Lewis, Haloti Ngata, Ray Rice and Torrey Smith.
These cards will be available only at Panini’s booth at the NFL Experience during Super Bowl week in New Orleans.