Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Panini previews Threads basketball
Posted Jun 20, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jun 20, 2012 at 07:03 PM
After a year’s absence, Panini America is bringing back Threads basketball.
This is the third basketball product Panini has previewed: the company already has teased its 2012-13 NBA Hoops and Prestige sets.
Threads has an Oct. 3 release date and will contain 24 packs per hobby box, with five cards to a box. Panini notes that each hobby box will contain three autograph cards and a relic card.
Also, Threads will have 100 rookie cards printed on wood stock, with all autographs on the card (no stickers, which is always good news). The rookies will include players from the 2011 and 2012 draft classes, and there will be a 150-card base set.
New inserts will include Century Greats and High Flyers.
Autographs can be found in the die-cut Team Threads; other signatures will be in the Rookie Team Threads and Private Signings.
Memorabilia will showcase Authentic Threads, Prime Authentic Threads, Triple Threads and Prime Triple Threads.
It’s an interesting lineup, and the mock-up cards look to be quite attractive. We will see what Panini delivers in October.