Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Panini previews Prizm hockey
Posted Jul 18, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Jul 18, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Panini America gave hockey collectors a taste of its Prizm product earlier this year in 2012-13 Rookie Anthology. Now, it’s time for Prizm hockey to debut and stand on its own merits.
The 2013-14 Panini Prizm hockey set will arrive in late September, with 20 packs to a hobby box and a rookie card in every pack. The rookie cards are going to be exciting to hockey fans, as it will be part of the “double class” — finally,a hockey set will have rookies from the 2012-13 season to go along with the 2013-14 group.
Plus, Panini is promising two autograph cards and two Prizm parallels in every hobby box. There also will be a die-cut Immortalized insert that will pay tribute to past Stanley Cup champions.
The autographs will be drawn from three different collectible levels, and there will be plenty of parallels. Orange die-cut Prizms will be hobby exclusive and numbered to 50, gold will be numbered to 10 and there will be 1/1 Finite black Prizms. Fans who buy retail also can get into the act, as Panini will include green Prizms in all retail products. Collectors who buy at Target can find red and red pulsar Prizms, while Walmart shoppers can expect to discover blue and blue pulsar Prizms.
Rookies, die-cuts and the Prizm designs should make for a pleasing product as the NHL gears up for another season.