Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Panini previews Prizm Football
Posted Oct 31, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM
It looks like it will work for basketball, so Panini America is going to use Prizm technology in football, too.
Prizm technology is the etching on base and insert cards that will give the card a three-dimensional look.
Prizm Basketball will be released in a few weeks. The 2012 Prizm Football set will debut in February 2013 with a 300-card base set, plus 100 rookies.
A hobby box will contain 20 packs, with six cards to a pack. Rookies should be seeded one to a pack, and there will be autographed versions of all 100 rookies numbered to 499 or less. There also will be autos of 100 of the veterans, numbered to 149 or less.
Panini promises that each hobby box will deliver two autographs, three Prizms, one red Prizm (a hobby-box exclusive), and at least one each of these inserts — Rookie Dominance, Decade Dominance and Brilliance. There will be two more inserts included.
If you are a fan of retail boxes, they will have 24 packs, with four cards to a pack. A retail box will contain at least one autograph, two Green Prizms, and one Rookie Dominance, Decade Dominance and Brilliance inserts (plus one more insert).
Decade Dominance, by the way, will be a 25-card insert set that will have gold and finite parallels. The game’s greatest players will be featured.
Collectors who buy hobby boxes also might pull red Prizm die-cut cards. The set will consist of 300 cards — a parallel of the base set.
And if you enjoy chasing autographs, the 100-card Rookie Prizm autograph set will be something to look forward to. These parallel autograph cards will be limited to 99, and there also will be a Rookie Finite Prizm autograph that will be a 1/1 card.
With a February release date, Prizm Football will be a nice way to end this NFL season.