Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Panini previews Gold Standard autographs
Posted May 26, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated May 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Panini America released photos of some of the autograph cards that will be appearing in its Gold Standard set, which is set for release on July 5. Talk about an aptly named product—some of these autographs are going to be like gold to you if you pull it from a pack.
There will be signature cards from legends like Bill Russell, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Wes Unseld, David Robinson, John Stockton, David Thompson, Bob Lanier and Dolph Schayes. Current stars like Shane Battier, Stephen Curry and Paul George also will be part of the set.
This is going to be a high-end product. One pack to a box, and 10 cards to a pack. A case will contain 10 boxes.
Five of the cards in the pack will be hot cards: one 2011-2012 Dr aft Class redemption autograph cards, two other autographs, and two memorabilia cards.
Russell is always an interesting autograph card. I say that because for years, the Boston Celtics’ Hall of Fame center refused to sign autographs. He said he didn’t like giving away a piece of himself in that way, that it was too impersonal. Times change of course, and wallets were opened up. And soon, Russell began signing.
I don’t blame him; in addition to being a great player and man, Russell was always a smart businessman. If you’re as old as I am, you will remember Russell doing commericials in 1973 for the Bell System phone company, where he sits in a chair and sinks a shot from across the room. The ad went like this: “Score some points the easy way ... (takes shot and scores) ... by long distance (then he cracks up laughing because he didn’t think the shot would go in).
Here’s another ad he did for the same company, same general theme, also in 1973:
Russell was better known for his rebounding, but he still enjoyed making a good shot, as you can tell.
As far as autographs go, when Russell saw he could make some good money and the autographs would be limited, he signed on.
A favorite card in my collection is a 1/1 dual autograph, yellow plate card from 2007 Topps Triple Threads. The autographs are of Russell and John Havlicek.
The autographs in Panini’s set look to be large and bold, and the gold background on the card certainly enhances the signature.
Gold Standard will have a new design for its Gold Rush cards, as each card will have a disk of gold embedded into it. Solid Gold cards will be 1/1 offerings and would be a very nice pull. And the 14K Memorabilia Prime cards will feature players who have scored more than 14,000 points in their NBA careers. These cards also will have a “24K” version.
So if you have the cash to invest and like the idea of possibly pulling a legendary player, this set could be up your alley.