Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Panini offers sneak peek of Brilliance basketball
Posted Mar 4, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Apr 6, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Panini America is hoping for some brilliance to rub off on its newest basketball product.
The 2012-13 Brilliance set will debut in late May, and a hobby box will contain 20 packs, with six cards to a pack. There will be a 300-card base set, and there will be Starbust and Artist proof parallels. A City to City dual memorabilia insert set, inspired by a Panini collector, also will be part of the set.
In addition to the base set, there will be a 240-card Marks of Brilliance autograph insert set, 60 Brilliant Beginnings rookie autographs and a Game Time Jerseys game-worn memorabilia insert.
Panini is promising that on average, each hobby box will yield two autographs, a memorabilia card, two Starburst parallels and an additional 13 inserts.
Other inserts to watch: Team Tomorrow, a 20-card subset; Spellbound, which totals 100 cards; Scorers, Inc., which will include 20 cards; Magic Numbers, a 15-card insert set; and a 25-card Springfield Hall of Fame tribute.