Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
- Glennon finalist for rookie award for second straight week
Panini offering online promotion for Super Bowl Black Box
Posted Jan 28, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:22 PM
The countdown has begun for Super Bowl XLVII, and Panini America has come up with a nice promotion that will inspire collectors to buy more football product.
It’s certainly enticing. While supplies last, customers who buy a box of Panini NFL product at iCollectPanini.com that has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $60 or more — it can be hobby or retail — will be eligible for a Super Bowl XLVII Black Box. Included in each Black Box will be a guaranteed autograph, low-numbered card that includes many greats of the game and some promising rookies, including Bucs running back Doug Martin.
So a collector gets a Black Box with the $60 or more purchase; if you purchase five boxes of eligible product, for example, then you will receive five Super Bowl XLVII Black Boxes, as long as the cost for each box is $60 or more — and of course, while supplies last.
Many of the signees for the cards are players who either have ties to New Orleans or played in one of the Super Bowls that have been held in the Big Easy. Roll the names of Joe Greene, Roger Craig, Jim McMahon, Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett and Joe Montana off your tongue. All played significant roles in Super Bowls played in New Orleans.
Included among the special cards will be three three 1/1 diamond studded cards of three Super Bowl MVP quarterbacks with roots in the New Orleans area: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning and Drew Brees.
Here are some other stars who have signed for this promotion: Bart Starr, Brett Favre, Andre Reed, Emmitt Smith, Howie Long, Michael Strahan, Larry Csonka, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Marcus Allen, Joe Namath, Terrell Davis and Jim Kelly — plus several others.
All of their cards are numbered to 25 or less, in addition to the player autograph.
It’s a big promotion and easy to enter, but remember: you must order online, you must buy boxes that exceed $60 in the MSRP, and you must hurry.