Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Panini inserting Rookie of Week inserts in Target retail boxes
Posted Feb 15, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Apr 6, 2013 at 08:49 PM
For those collectors who enjoyed the Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week program that Panini America participated in, there is now a chance to collect the virtual cards that were created.
On Friday, Panini announced that the cards will be randomly inserted exclusively in the Target retail version of 2012 Contenders football. Contenders will be showing up at Target later this month.
Collectors will be able to find all 17 cards as an insert set, cards that highlighted each week’s winners. Panini is also including special 2012 Prizm football red die-cut versions of the Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Year finalists: Bucs running back Doug Martin, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, Redskins running back Alfred Morris, Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, and the winner — Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.
Each of the specially stamped red Prizm die-cuts were previously only available as hobby-only inserts in 2012 Prizm football. Now, they will be in Contenders packs at Target, but limited to 35 copies.
Last year, Panini inserted 2011 Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Week cards into 2011 Totally Certified football.
So check at your local Target in a few weeks if you’re interested in these inserts. The Prizm cards certainly look nice.