Most Recent Entries
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
Pair of area high school grads help USF women’s golf to Big East tourney title
Posted Apr 25, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Apr 25, 2012 at 02:17 AM
The University of South Florida women’s golf team won the Big East Championship Tournament Tuesday at the Reunion Resort and Club in Orlando.
The Bulls ranked No. 49 in the nation narrowly edged Notre Dame by one stroke in the three-day tournament.
The Bulls were helped to the Big East title with the help of two local high school standouts. Shena Yang (Wharton) finished tied for eighth and Amy West (Durant) finished 10th individually, joining teammates Christina Miller (3rd), Kelli Pry (T6th) and Anna Hancock (T21st) scoring for South Florida.
Yang and West, both in their junior year at USF, were named to the Tampa Tribune All-Hillsborough County first team in their senior seasons.
The women’s golf team’s Big East title was the fourth-ever tournament title in the conference for South Florida joining women’s tennis (2007), men’s soccer (2008) and men’s tennis (2009). USF has won Big East regular season titles in softball and men’s soccer twice.