Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Pair of area high school grads help USF women’s golf to Big East tourney title
Posted Apr 25, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Apr 25, 2012 at 02:17 AM
The University of South Florida women’s golf team won the Big East Championship Tournament Tuesday at the Reunion Resort and Club in Orlando.
The Bulls ranked No. 49 in the nation narrowly edged Notre Dame by one stroke in the three-day tournament.
The Bulls were helped to the Big East title with the help of two local high school standouts. Shena Yang (Wharton) finished tied for eighth and Amy West (Durant) finished 10th individually, joining teammates Christina Miller (3rd), Kelli Pry (T6th) and Anna Hancock (T21st) scoring for South Florida.
Yang and West, both in their junior year at USF, were named to the Tampa Tribune All-Hillsborough County first team in their senior seasons.
The women’s golf team’s Big East title was the fourth-ever tournament title in the conference for South Florida joining women’s tennis (2007), men’s soccer (2008) and men’s tennis (2009). USF has won Big East regular season titles in softball and men’s soccer twice.