Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Bay to Sox, Manny to Dodgers
Posted Jul 31, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jul 31, 2008 at 05:18 PM
Updating, 5:15 p.m. We’re supposed to have Andrew Friedman on a conference call at 6 p.m. Check back for his thoughts on the day shortly thereafter.
Updating, 4:35 p.m. Wow—Jon Heyman is reporting Bay to the Red Sox and Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers came in under the wire. He had been saying the Dodgers were in it when no one else even mentioned them, so nice work by Heyman.
And of course that’s doubly bad for the Rays. They could have lived with not getting Bay, but seeing him go to the team they’re trying to hold off, and knowing that the Yankees have improved themselves, well, that’s not so good.
Updating, 4:10 p.m.: Rosenthal has pulled back and is now saying the vaunted three-way deal is dead, AND that it would take a “miracle” for the Rays and Pirates to get together on Bay. From what I hear, Pittsburgh was really fixated on Jeremy Hellickson.
Updating, 4 p.m.: Ken Rosenthal is now reporting the three-way deal may be back on, with Bay going to Boston and
Manny Ramirez to the Marlins. Unbelievable.
MLB.com is reporting a deal that would send Jason Bay to the Rays for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann is done, but a high-level Rays person says that is not the case and another has not heard either way.
Not to stay it isn’t going to happen within the next half-hour, but I’m not hearing that it’s been wrapped up, nor have those in Pittsburgh.