Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Niemann on losing arbitration: ‘I considered it a win-win situation going in’
Posted Feb 20, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE – Jeff Niemann said he does not have any ill feelings toward the Rays despite losing his arbitration case earlier this month.
“Oh no, not at all,” he said this morning. “This is part of the business and sometimes the business side of baseball comes up and your agent advises you how to handle things. I’m glad it’s done with and over. I’m ready to start the spring.”
Niemann sought $3.2 million but settled for $2.75 million after a panel of three arbitrators ruled in favor of the Rays.
“I considered it a win-win situation going in,” Niemann said. “Certain circumstances got us to that point. We did it, went through it, got the experience. Now I’m ready to go out there and play.