Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Niemann heads to arbitration today
Posted Feb 2, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 2, 2012 at 07:25 AM
Pitcher Jeff Niemann has his day in front of a three-arbitrator panel today during his salary arbitration hearing.
Niemann, 11-7 with a 4.06 ERA in 2011, is seeking a one-year, $3.2 million contract. The Rays offered $2.75 million. Niemann made $903,000 last season.
The decision of the arbitrators is likely to be rendered Friday.
The Rays are 4-0 in arbitration under executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, winning two decisions against former catcher Josh Paul and one each against former catcher Dioner Navarro and center fielder B.J. Upton.
Niemann is the only player to take the Rays to arbitration this winter. The team reached deals and avoided arbitration this offseason with Upton and pitchers Joel Peralta, David Price, J.P. Howell and Burke Badenhop.