Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Newsome’s Weeks accepts preferred walk-on at FSU
Posted Apr 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 27, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Newsome senior offensive lineman Keith Weeks, a three-year varsity member of the Wolves’ football team and first team selection for last season’s all-Western Conference football roster, has accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Florida State University, his father, Bernie Weeks, announced Friday.
Besides earning all-Western Conference honors, the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Weeks was also chosen for the 2012 Blue-Gray National High School All-Star game, the East-West All-Star Game, was a third-team selection for all-state in 6A, was a captain on his squad and was a winner of both the National Football Foundation Tampa Chapter Scholar Athlete and Hillsbrough County Scholar Athlete awards.
Essentially, preferred walk-ons have a spot on the roster and are usually the 20 extra players that fall within the NCAA-mandated 105-players roster limit, which can include a maximum of 85 scholarship players for Football Bowl Subdivision or Division I teams.