Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Newsome’s Weeks accepts preferred walk-on at FSU
Posted Apr 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 27, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Newsome senior offensive lineman Keith Weeks, a three-year varsity member of the Wolves’ football team and first team selection for last season’s all-Western Conference football roster, has accepted a preferred walk-on offer from Florida State University, his father, Bernie Weeks, announced Friday.
Besides earning all-Western Conference honors, the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Weeks was also chosen for the 2012 Blue-Gray National High School All-Star game, the East-West All-Star Game, was a third-team selection for all-state in 6A, was a captain on his squad and was a winner of both the National Football Foundation Tampa Chapter Scholar Athlete and Hillsbrough County Scholar Athlete awards.
Essentially, preferred walk-ons have a spot on the roster and are usually the 20 extra players that fall within the NCAA-mandated 105-players roster limit, which can include a maximum of 85 scholarship players for Football Bowl Subdivision or Division I teams.