Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Newsome names new boys basketball coach
Posted Oct 10, 2011 by Nick Williams
Updated Oct 10, 2011 at 03:34 PM
Barry Jacobs, an assistant football coach and head flag football coach at Newsome, has been named the new head boys basketball coach at Newsome, athletic director Paul Lindstrom said.
Jacobs replaces Jon Mackey, who stepped down from the position last month. The Wolves finished 17-9 this past season and lost to East Bay in the district tournament semifinals.
Jacobs was the head girls basketball coach at Newsome for the 2008-09 season and coached at Riverview as an assistant on the boys team (2001-03) and girls team (2004-07).
Mackey, the program’s only coach since the school opened in 2003, resigned in September for personal reasons. Mackey, who guided the program to within one win of the state final four in 2010, where the Wolves fell to eventual Class 5A state champion Bartow in the region final, said seeing his son play in college has become his biggest priority.