Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Newsome names new boys basketball coach
Posted Oct 10, 2011 by Nick Williams
Updated Oct 10, 2011 at 03:34 PM
Barry Jacobs, an assistant football coach and head flag football coach at Newsome, has been named the new head boys basketball coach at Newsome, athletic director Paul Lindstrom said.
Jacobs replaces Jon Mackey, who stepped down from the position last month. The Wolves finished 17-9 this past season and lost to East Bay in the district tournament semifinals.
Jacobs was the head girls basketball coach at Newsome for the 2008-09 season and coached at Riverview as an assistant on the boys team (2001-03) and girls team (2004-07).
Mackey, the program’s only coach since the school opened in 2003, resigned in September for personal reasons. Mackey, who guided the program to within one win of the state final four in 2010, where the Wolves fell to eventual Class 5A state champion Bartow in the region final, said seeing his son play in college has become his biggest priority.