Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Newsome names new boys basketball coach
Posted Oct 10, 2011 by Nick Williams
Updated Oct 10, 2011 at 03:34 PM
Barry Jacobs, an assistant football coach and head flag football coach at Newsome, has been named the new head boys basketball coach at Newsome, athletic director Paul Lindstrom said.
Jacobs replaces Jon Mackey, who stepped down from the position last month. The Wolves finished 17-9 this past season and lost to East Bay in the district tournament semifinals.
Jacobs was the head girls basketball coach at Newsome for the 2008-09 season and coached at Riverview as an assistant on the boys team (2001-03) and girls team (2004-07).
Mackey, the program’s only coach since the school opened in 2003, resigned in September for personal reasons. Mackey, who guided the program to within one win of the state final four in 2010, where the Wolves fell to eventual Class 5A state champion Bartow in the region final, said seeing his son play in college has become his biggest priority.