Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
New start times for Rays games
Posted Jan 29, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 29, 2010 at 07:01 PM
The Rays changed the start times for Friday home games, moving them up to 7:10 p.m.
They’ve also juggled the start times on Saturday, with games that begin at 3:10 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 4:10 p.m., 6:10 p.m. and 7:10 p.m.
Friday night games began at 7:38 last season, a move that was aimed toward given fans more time to reach Tropicana Field. While many liked the later start, the Rays learned most fans didn’t like the later finishes. So, this yea, the games start at 7:10.
Saturday game times are affected by FOX baseball, which does not permit teams to televise games during the 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. slot reserved for the FOX Saturday game of the week, and the Rays annual summer concert series.
FOX will come to the Trop for three games – April 10 against the Yankees (3:10 p.m.), May 15 against the Mariners (4:10) and Aug. 14 against the Orioles (4:10).
The Rays game against Arizona on June 26 will start at 4:05 p.m., because FOX is televising a night game that day.
The 6:10 p.m. starts are for the concert series, which will be announced in March.
All week night games start at 7:10. Sunday games begin at 1:40.