Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Myers, Fernandez named rookies of the year by Sporting News
Posted Oct 21, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Oct 21, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Tampa Alonso High product Jose Fernandez and Rays right fielder Wil Myers have been named the rookies of the year for their respective leagues Monday by the Sporting News.
Fernandez, 12-6 this season for the Marlins, easily outdistanced right fielder Yasiel Puig of the Dodgers 67-4 in vote of Nation League players for the NL award.
Myers, who hit .293 with 13 home runs and 53 RBI in 88 games for the Rays, was picked for the AL award over shortstop Julio Iglesias of the Tigers by a vote of 33-29. Rays right-hander Chris Archer was third with 27 votes.
Myers and Fernandez are among the top candidates for the Baseball Writers’ of America rookie of the year awards that will be announced Nov. 11.
Here is a link to the story …