Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
More on Tuesday’s complete games by Shields and Niemann
Posted Aug 17, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 17, 2011 at 01:51 PM
From the Rays PR staff …
James Shields and RH Jeff Niemann each threw complete games Tuesday and each allowed three hits. With help from the Elias Sports Bureau, it was the first time ...
—The Red Sox had a pair of complete games thrown against them in one day at Fenway Park since June 29, 1969 when CLE Luis Tiant and Sonny Seibert did it.
—Two complete games have been turned in by teammates on one day at Fenway Park since BOS Dennis Eckersley and Mike Torrez did it on Sep 23, 1979 vs. DET.
—A team has thrown two complete games in one day anywhere since MIL Angel Miranda and Ricky Bones did it at home against Detroit on August 13, 1993.
—Two CGs on one day by teammates with each allowing 3 hits or less since BOS Matt Young (lost, no-hitter) and Roger Clemens (won, 2-hitter) did it on April 12, 1992 at CLE.
—That Boston was held to 3 hits or less in back-to-back games by the same team since Sep 2-3, 2000 vs. SEA.