Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Rays v BoSox: Jennings returns, Rays looking for 6th straight W
- CDS’ Lewis signs with Kentucky Christian
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
More on Tuesday’s complete games by Shields and Niemann
Posted Aug 17, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Aug 17, 2011 at 01:51 PM
From the Rays PR staff …
James Shields and RH Jeff Niemann each threw complete games Tuesday and each allowed three hits. With help from the Elias Sports Bureau, it was the first time ...
—The Red Sox had a pair of complete games thrown against them in one day at Fenway Park since June 29, 1969 when CLE Luis Tiant and Sonny Seibert did it.
—Two complete games have been turned in by teammates on one day at Fenway Park since BOS Dennis Eckersley and Mike Torrez did it on Sep 23, 1979 vs. DET.
—A team has thrown two complete games in one day anywhere since MIL Angel Miranda and Ricky Bones did it at home against Detroit on August 13, 1993.
—Two CGs on one day by teammates with each allowing 3 hits or less since BOS Matt Young (lost, no-hitter) and Roger Clemens (won, 2-hitter) did it on April 12, 1992 at CLE.
—That Boston was held to 3 hits or less in back-to-back games by the same team since Sep 2-3, 2000 vs. SEA.