Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
Moore to start Game 1
Posted Sep 29, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 29, 2011 at 08:52 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas Rookie Matt Moore’s second big league start will be a big one – Game 1 of the American League Division Series on Friday afternoon against the defending American League champion Rangers in their ballpark.
James Shields will start Game 2 on Saturday night.
Moore has pitching just 9 1/3 innings in three game since being promoted from Triple A Durham earlier this month.
He saved the Rays with three innings in relief of Jeff Niemann in Boston then struck out 11 in five innings at Yankee Stadium when he earned his first big league win.
Moore will face Rangers ace C.J. Wilson, who is 16-7 with a 2.94 ERA and was 2-0 in three starts against the Rays.