Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Momentary Rays hero headed for Japan
Posted Dec 19, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Dec 19, 2008 at 08:26 PM
The fine folks at NPB Tracker inform us that Dan Johnson is set to join the Yokohama BayStars. It sounds like Johnson might end up in the outfield for Yokohama, where at some point he figures to end up facing his 2008 Durham Bulls teammate Scott Dohmann, who recently signed with Hiroshima.
Johnson, of course, was the star of one of the most memorable moments of the Rays’ 2008 season. Called up from Durham on Sept. 9, he arrived at Fenway Park about 15 minutes before game time and ended up coming on cold against Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth. Hitless in his big-league career as a pinch-hitter, Johnson blasted a homer to right to tie the game and the Rays scored what proved to be the winning run a few minutes later.
His first at-bat as a Ray was one of only 25 he would get for Tampa Bay during the season, but it should go down in Rays lore.