Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Molina deal not likely until after the weekend
Posted Nov 23, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Nov 23, 2011 at 05:22 PM
Jose Molina visited with Rays doctors this week and is close to finalizing what is likely a one-year deal in the $1 million neighborhood.
The Rays were hoping to have Molina signed on Tuesday, but he has yet to see all the of the team’s doctors. The deal probably won’t be completed until after the weekend.
The right-handed hitting Molina will work in a platoon with either the left-handed hitting John Jaso or the switch-hitting Jose Lobaton.
Molina’s strength is his defense, no surprise since the Rays place a premium on defense at every position, especially behind the plate, where the catcher must control the running game as well as work with the pitchers.
Here are Molina’s career stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/molinjo01.shtml