Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Molina deal not likely until after the weekend
Posted Nov 23, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Nov 23, 2011 at 05:22 PM
Jose Molina visited with Rays doctors this week and is close to finalizing what is likely a one-year deal in the $1 million neighborhood.
The Rays were hoping to have Molina signed on Tuesday, but he has yet to see all the of the team’s doctors. The deal probably won’t be completed until after the weekend.
The right-handed hitting Molina will work in a platoon with either the left-handed hitting John Jaso or the switch-hitting Jose Lobaton.
Molina’s strength is his defense, no surprise since the Rays place a premium on defense at every position, especially behind the plate, where the catcher must control the running game as well as work with the pitchers.
Here are Molina’s career stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/molinjo01.shtml