Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Matt Smaby elects for arbitration
Posted Jul 5, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Lightning defenseman Matt Smaby was among 20 players who have elected for salary arbitration. A hearing date will be determined at a later date but will fall between July 20 and August 4. All hearings are held in Toronto.
Smaby, a second round pick in 2003, just finished his third year pro and is out of his entry level contract. Last year was hs first long-term stint in the NHL after appearing in 43 games. Smaby made a name for himself with the coaching staff last season when, despite suffering a broken bone in the top of his foot, he played quality minutes toward the tail end of the season as the Lightning defense was decimated by injury. Smaby made $825,000 last season.