Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Matt Smaby elects for arbitration
Posted Jul 5, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jul 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM
Lightning defenseman Matt Smaby was among 20 players who have elected for salary arbitration. A hearing date will be determined at a later date but will fall between July 20 and August 4. All hearings are held in Toronto.
Smaby, a second round pick in 2003, just finished his third year pro and is out of his entry level contract. Last year was hs first long-term stint in the NHL after appearing in 43 games. Smaby made a name for himself with the coaching staff last season when, despite suffering a broken bone in the top of his foot, he played quality minutes toward the tail end of the season as the Lightning defense was decimated by injury. Smaby made $825,000 last season.