Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Jays given permission to interview Martinez for manager’s job
Posted Oct 18, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Oct 18, 2010 at 04:13 PM
Dave Martinez, left, feels three years as Joe Maddon’s bench coach prepared him to be a big meague manager
The Blue Jays have been given permission by the Rays to interview Rays bench coach Dave Martinez for their manager’s position, which came open when Cito Gaston retired at the end of the season.
Martinez, an original Ray who recorded the first hit in franchise history, has been Joe Maddon’s bench coach since the 2008 season.
Martinez said the day after the Rays were eliminated in Game 5 of the ALDS that he would like to interview for one of the vacant manager jobs around the major leagues.
“If someone wants to interview me, great. Would I welcome that? Yeah,” Martinez said last week.
The Jays are reportedly interested in a number of candidates. The Toronto Sun reported last week the team interviewed former Mets and Rangers manager Bobby Valentine, though the team would not confirm that report.