Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Martin wins Pepsi Max weekly rookie honors
Posted Nov 9, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:06 PM
After one of the most contentious national political campaigns I can remember, here’s an election result I believe most sports fans in the Tampa Bay area can agree with.
Voters on NFL.com chose Bucs running back Doug Martin as the Pepsi Max Rookie of the Week for Week 9 of the NFL season. In conjunction with the promotion, Panini America has produced a virtual card of each winner. Panini also produces virtual cards of nominees every week.
Martin, the Bucs’ rookie running back, rushed for a franchise-record 251 yards on 25 carries and scored four touchdowns Tampa Bay’s 42-32 victory on Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.
Martin was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.com. The other finalists were wide receiver T.Y. Hilton (Colts), quarterback Andrew Luck (Colts), running back Trent Richardson (Browns) and quarterback Russell Wilson (Seahawks).
Previous winners this season include Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, who has won three times; Luck, who also has won three times; and Richardson and Redskins running back Alfred Morris, who have won one time each.
After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com throughout the month of January. The Pepsi Max NFL Rookie of the Year will be announced at the second annual “NFL Honors” awards show in New Orleans on Feb. 2, the night before Super Bowl XLVII.