Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Rays v BoSox: Jennings returns, Rays looking for 6th straight W
- CDS’ Lewis signs with Kentucky Christian
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Martin is finalist for Pepsi Max rookie of the year award
Posted Jan 7, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Bucs running back Doug Martin is among the finalists for the 2012 Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year, and as it has all season, Panini America has created virtual cards to honor the five nominees. The overall winner will have a special virtual card created to mark the occasion.
Vote now for your favorite choice at NFL.com, then share the image of the 2012 Pepsi Max Rookie of the Year nominee you voted for on your Facebook page. In addition, post the image on the Panini America Facebook page. On Twitter, use the hashtag #PepsiMAXROW and mention @PaniniAmerica to Tweet out the card image of the rookie you voted for. For doing those things, you’ll be eligible to win special prizes.
Fans can vote through 9 p.m. EST on Jan. 29. The winner will be announced on Feb. 2 in New Orleans (site of Super Bowl XLVII) during “NFL Honors,” a two-hour prime-time awards special that will air on CBS between 9-11 p.m. EST.
Martin has been nominated for Rookie of the Week five times this season and won once.
The other nominees are Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III, who was named rookie of the week six times this season; Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, a three-time winner who was nominated nine times; Redskins running back Alfred Morris, another three-time winner who was nominated five times; and Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson, who was nominated eight times this season and won once.
Martin certainly had an excellent season, but unless Bucs fans stuff the ballot box, the winner is going to be Griffin. Or, as an outside shot, Luck. But I believe RGIII will win.