Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
Marek Malik not signed - yet
Posted Oct 15, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Oct 15, 2008 at 02:16 PM
Defenseman Marek Malik will be in Tampa on Thursday for a physical with the Lightning. If everything checks out, Malik will be signed to a one-year contract and could be ready to play by next week.
Lightning vice president of hockey operations Brian Lawton said on Wednesday that the team has tentatively agreed to a one-year deal pending Malik passing a physical.
Lawton said the team has been in contact with Malik throughout the summer and Malik has assured the team he has been skating and staying in shape.
“It’s a process that we just want to make sure everything is in line,” Lawton said.
Canadian television TSN reported on its web site Tuesday night that Malik had been signed to a one-year prorated deal worth $1.2 million for this season, but Lawton said that TSN was about a week ahead of what will actually take place. While there is virtually no chance that Malik will be ready to play this weekend, Lawton said that if he comes in and shows that he is ready to play, then the earliest Malik could play would be Tuesday against the Thrashers but next Saturday when the San Jose Sharks come to town is the targeted date for Malik to make his Lightning debut.