Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Marcum: AFL, Storm Will Play In 2009
Posted Dec 10, 2008 by Adam Adkins
Updated Dec 10, 2008 at 09:28 PM
Tampa Bay Storm head coach and general manager Tim Marcum said Wednesday night that the Arena Football League will play in 2009, and that the Tampa Bay Storm will be among the teams competing this season.
Marcum said the league’s board of directors voted Wednesday night to move ahead with the season. Marcum said he wasn’t sure how many teams will play this year, but that the Tampa Bay Storm would be one of them and that the arena league will continue.
Marcum said he certainly felt a sense of relief with the news the league would continue, but lashed out at the various media reports that had circulated in recent days that stated the AFL, which is said to be in serious financial trouble, was likely to cancel the 2009 season and possibly cease operations altogether.
“One thing I’m very disappointed in is this predetermination, the false information that was out there, that said the Arena Football League was doomed,” Marcum said. I don’t know why people [media] are doing this. Nothing can happen without a vote of the board of directors, and they voted tonight going forward.”
Marcum said the 16-team owners are tentatively scheduled to meet Dec. 19 to hammer out the details for the 2009 season, specifically which teams will be playing this season.
Stay with TBO.com for more updates.