Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Marc Denis to be a scratch in the playoffs
Posted Apr 10, 2007 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Apr 10, 2007 at 02:40 PM
In what might be the final straw to end the brief Marc Denis era in Tampa, the team’s No. 1 goaltender heading into the season will be third on the depth chart once the playoffs begin.
Lightning coach John Tortorella informed the media today that Karri Ramo will be the backup to Johan Holmqvist once postseason play begins Thursday in New Jersey.
This move doesn’t come as a huge surprise to me as it had become apparent that both the players and the coaching staff lost confidence in Denis’ play in the second half of the season. Now the question is, is Denis done in Tampa?
I would have to think so. If there is no confidence in him he can’t come back, much like Sean Burke heading into this season. But will the Lightning be able to find a taker for him and his $2.8 million per year deal left on a two-year contract.