Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Maddon responds to Valentine’s jab
Posted Sep 5, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 5, 2012 at 05:36 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Boston manager Bobby Valentine, in an angry exchange during an interview with WEEI sports radio in Boston earlier today, took a shot at Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Valentine was asked about showing up late to the ballpark one day last week when the Red Sox were playing in Oakland. Valentine said he had gone to San Francisco to pick his son up at the airport. The flight was late and the two were caught in traffic as they made their way to the other side of the bay.
Valentine became angry at the line of questioning and said he was at the park in plenty of time for a 7:05 p.m. game.
Then Valentine said, “Joe Maddon gets there every day at 4 o’clock just for the record.”
Actually, just for the record, Maddon arrives at the ballpark much earlier than that.
There is no love lost between the two managers. Remember Maddon called Valentine a “coward” and accused Valentine of ordering his pitcher to throw at Luke Scott during a May game at Fenway Park.
So Maddon couldn’t resist a little shot at Valentine. Arriving in the dugout for his daily pregame media session, Maddon said, “Sorry I’m late. I just got here.”
When asked about Valentine’s comment, Maddon said, “I’m very flattered by the whole thing. I think it’s very amusing, that’s all. Seriously, that’s all. I’m amused by the moment, and it’s flattering someone would include me in that conversation.”
When asked what time he arrives each day, Maddon said it varies depending on the day then added, “I’m here in plenty of time.”