Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Maddon responds to Valentine’s jab
Posted Sep 5, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Sep 5, 2012 at 05:36 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Boston manager Bobby Valentine, in an angry exchange during an interview with WEEI sports radio in Boston earlier today, took a shot at Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Valentine was asked about showing up late to the ballpark one day last week when the Red Sox were playing in Oakland. Valentine said he had gone to San Francisco to pick his son up at the airport. The flight was late and the two were caught in traffic as they made their way to the other side of the bay.
Valentine became angry at the line of questioning and said he was at the park in plenty of time for a 7:05 p.m. game.
Then Valentine said, “Joe Maddon gets there every day at 4 o’clock just for the record.”
Actually, just for the record, Maddon arrives at the ballpark much earlier than that.
There is no love lost between the two managers. Remember Maddon called Valentine a “coward” and accused Valentine of ordering his pitcher to throw at Luke Scott during a May game at Fenway Park.
So Maddon couldn’t resist a little shot at Valentine. Arriving in the dugout for his daily pregame media session, Maddon said, “Sorry I’m late. I just got here.”
When asked about Valentine’s comment, Maddon said, “I’m very flattered by the whole thing. I think it’s very amusing, that’s all. Seriously, that’s all. I’m amused by the moment, and it’s flattering someone would include me in that conversation.”
When asked what time he arrives each day, Maddon said it varies depending on the day then added, “I’m here in plenty of time.”