Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Maddon isn’t sure if Ramirez’s personal matter will be an ongoing issue
Posted Apr 7, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 7, 2011 at 01:13 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
CHICAGO Rays manager Joe Maddon expects DH Manny Ramirez to rejoin the team for Friday night’s game against the White Sox.
Ramirez stayed back in Florida to attend today to an undisclosed personal matter.
This is the second straight week Ramirez has missed a game for a personal issue. He did not play March 30 in the Rays final exhibition game.
When asked if this would be the end of Ramirez’s issue, Maddon said: “I don’t know. It’s one of those things I think it might be over, but I’m not sure. I’m really not.”
Maddon did say that if today’s game were a night game, Ramirez might have been able to play.
“The schedule kind of bit him on this one personal thing,” Maddon said.
Maddon did say he expects Ramirez to rejoin the team Friday.
“That’s for sure,” Maddon said. “He has a family matter that he has to attend to. It’s a personal thing. It’s something we were aware of and it just happens to be today, and it’s unavoidable. It is unavoidable.”