Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Maddon isn’t sure if Ramirez’s personal matter will be an ongoing issue
Posted Apr 7, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 7, 2011 at 01:13 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
CHICAGO Rays manager Joe Maddon expects DH Manny Ramirez to rejoin the team for Friday night’s game against the White Sox.
Ramirez stayed back in Florida to attend today to an undisclosed personal matter.
This is the second straight week Ramirez has missed a game for a personal issue. He did not play March 30 in the Rays final exhibition game.
When asked if this would be the end of Ramirez’s issue, Maddon said: “I don’t know. It’s one of those things I think it might be over, but I’m not sure. I’m really not.”
Maddon did say that if today’s game were a night game, Ramirez might have been able to play.
“The schedule kind of bit him on this one personal thing,” Maddon said.
Maddon did say he expects Ramirez to rejoin the team Friday.
“That’s for sure,” Maddon said. “He has a family matter that he has to attend to. It’s a personal thing. It’s something we were aware of and it just happens to be today, and it’s unavoidable. It is unavoidable.”