Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Oakland Claims Lugo From Rays
Posted Jun 14, 2007 by Bart O'Connell
Updated Jun 14, 2007 at 04:08 PM
The Oakland Athletics claimed reliever Ruddy Lugo off waivers from Tampa Bay, two days after the Rays designated the 27-year old righthander for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for free agent RHP Jay Witasick.
Lugo began the season on the major league roster for the second consecutive year and struggled, posting a 9.28 ERA in 11 games for the Rays, though he did have a 2-0 record. He was sent to Durham on May 6, where he went 2-1 with a 1.84 ERA in 11 appearances.
Witasick was released by the A’s on June 7, and made his Rays debut Thursday afternoon, allowing two earned runs in 1 1/3 innings.