Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Oakland Claims Lugo From Rays
Posted Jun 14, 2007 by Bart O'Connell
Updated Jun 14, 2007 at 04:08 PM
The Oakland Athletics claimed reliever Ruddy Lugo off waivers from Tampa Bay, two days after the Rays designated the 27-year old righthander for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for free agent RHP Jay Witasick.
Lugo began the season on the major league roster for the second consecutive year and struggled, posting a 9.28 ERA in 11 games for the Rays, though he did have a 2-0 record. He was sent to Durham on May 6, where he went 2-1 with a 1.84 ERA in 11 appearances.
Witasick was released by the A’s on June 7, and made his Rays debut Thursday afternoon, allowing two earned runs in 1 1/3 innings.