Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Oakland Claims Lugo From Rays
Posted Jun 14, 2007 by Bart O'Connell
Updated Jun 14, 2007 at 04:08 PM
The Oakland Athletics claimed reliever Ruddy Lugo off waivers from Tampa Bay, two days after the Rays designated the 27-year old righthander for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for free agent RHP Jay Witasick.
Lugo began the season on the major league roster for the second consecutive year and struggled, posting a 9.28 ERA in 11 games for the Rays, though he did have a 2-0 record. He was sent to Durham on May 6, where he went 2-1 with a 1.84 ERA in 11 appearances.
Witasick was released by the A’s on June 7, and made his Rays debut Thursday afternoon, allowing two earned runs in 1 1/3 innings.