Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Longoria named AL player of the week
Posted May 13, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was named the American League Player of the Week of the week ending Sunday.
Longoria batted .464 (13-for-28) with five doubles, three home runs, 11 RBI, eight runs scored and four walks to help the Rays to a 5-2 record.
This is his sixth career weekly honor (last accomplished for the week ending August 22,
Longoria led all Major League hitters in RBI, total bases (27) and slugging percentage (.964), and he was tied for second overall in doubles.
Amongst American Leaguers, Longoria was tied for first in homers, tied for second in runs scored, third in batting average and base hits and tied for third in on-base percentage (.531).