Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Longoria named AL player of the week
Posted May 13, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was named the American League Player of the Week of the week ending Sunday.
Longoria batted .464 (13-for-28) with five doubles, three home runs, 11 RBI, eight runs scored and four walks to help the Rays to a 5-2 record.
This is his sixth career weekly honor (last accomplished for the week ending August 22,
Longoria led all Major League hitters in RBI, total bases (27) and slugging percentage (.964), and he was tied for second overall in doubles.
Amongst American Leaguers, Longoria was tied for first in homers, tied for second in runs scored, third in batting average and base hits and tied for third in on-base percentage (.531).