Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Top recruits aren’t the only people being developed under Callahan
- Pasco High’s Andrew Ivie, Bowman Archibald pick up offers from USF
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
Longoria named AL player of the week
Posted May 13, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was named the American League Player of the Week of the week ending Sunday.
Longoria batted .464 (13-for-28) with five doubles, three home runs, 11 RBI, eight runs scored and four walks to help the Rays to a 5-2 record.
This is his sixth career weekly honor (last accomplished for the week ending August 22,
Longoria led all Major League hitters in RBI, total bases (27) and slugging percentage (.964), and he was tied for second overall in doubles.
Amongst American Leaguers, Longoria was tied for first in homers, tied for second in runs scored, third in batting average and base hits and tied for third in on-base percentage (.531).