Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Jamie Edmondson announces birth of daughter, Elle Leona Longoria
Posted Feb 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Jaime Edmondson, girlfriend of Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, announced the birth of their daughter early Friday evening via her twitter account.
“@Evan3Longoria & I are so proud to welcome Elle Leona Longoria to the world … born 2/20/13 7:21 p.m. 4.1 lbs 18 inches.”
Edmondson also tweeted that the baby, born more than a month premature, is “strong & we look forward to the day she gets to go home.”
In her tweet, Edmondson said Longoria left to return to the Rays. His missed his third day of workouts Friday.
Earlier in the day, Rays manager Joe Maddon said he expected Longoria to return at some point over the weekend but would not be concerned if Longoria needed a few more days with his new family.
The Rays are set to open their Grapefruit League schedule Saturday with split-squad games at Charlotte Sports Park against the Pittsburgh Pirates and in Fort Myers against the Boston Red Sox.
Longoria was not on the roster for either game and could need a few days of workouts before playing in a game.
C Chris Gimenez is playing third base today against the Pirates, while Sean Rodriguez is starting at third base against the Red Sox.
“It’s an opportunity to see somebody else (at third base) this early on,” Maddon said. “With (Longoria) I just want to make sure he’s ready for the beginning of the season.”