Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Moore looks for 9th, Hernandez staying put, Price update
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Jamie Edmondson announces birth of daughter, Elle Leona Longoria
Posted Feb 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Jaime Edmondson, girlfriend of Rays third baseman Evan Longoria, announced the birth of their daughter early Friday evening via her twitter account.
“@Evan3Longoria & I are so proud to welcome Elle Leona Longoria to the world … born 2/20/13 7:21 p.m. 4.1 lbs 18 inches.”
Edmondson also tweeted that the baby, born more than a month premature, is “strong & we look forward to the day she gets to go home.”
In her tweet, Edmondson said Longoria left to return to the Rays. His missed his third day of workouts Friday.
Earlier in the day, Rays manager Joe Maddon said he expected Longoria to return at some point over the weekend but would not be concerned if Longoria needed a few more days with his new family.
The Rays are set to open their Grapefruit League schedule Saturday with split-squad games at Charlotte Sports Park against the Pittsburgh Pirates and in Fort Myers against the Boston Red Sox.
Longoria was not on the roster for either game and could need a few days of workouts before playing in a game.
C Chris Gimenez is playing third base today against the Pirates, while Sean Rodriguez is starting at third base against the Red Sox.
“It’s an opportunity to see somebody else (at third base) this early on,” Maddon said. “With (Longoria) I just want to make sure he’s ready for the beginning of the season.”