Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Longo sits Saturday with soreness in hamstring, expects to play Sunday for Bulls
Posted Jul 28, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 28, 2012 at 08:07 PM
ANAHEIM Evan Longoria was not in Saturday’s Durham Bulls lineup because his left hamstring was sore after playing back-to-back games.
Longoria was the designated hitter Thursday and Friday, going a combined 0-for-6 with two walks, in his first games since he played back-to-back games with the Bulls in mid-June. That he was sore is to be expected due to the long layoff.
The Rays said they will be cautious with Longoria’s comeback, so when he reported the soreness to Rays head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield on Saturday morning, Porterfield decided it was time for a day off.
“He just felt a little bit sore, but nothing abnormal,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said before tonight’s game with the Angels. “He wanted to play, but they talked it over and Ronnie felt, and they agreed, that it was best to let him just sit tonight.”
Maddon said he expects Longoria will play Sunday for the Bulls.