Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Longo says hamstring is better
Posted Feb 12, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE Rays third baseman Evan Longoria reported early to camp so the training staff can begin working on his right hamstring.
Pitchers and catchers report to camp today and will have their first workout Wednesday. Position players have until Saturday to report. The first full squad workout is Sunday.
Longoria’s hamstring will be a hot topic this spring. He partially tore the hamstring last April and missed 85 games. He had minor surgery Nov. 21 and said the hamstring feels great.
“Two weeks after surgery I was feeling like a new man,” he said.
Longoria said he has been running but hasn’t attempted any bursts, which would put the most stress on the hamstring.
He said he does not know when he will begin playing in Grapefruit League games but did say he will be ready by Opening Day, which is April 2.
Longoria also said he is OK with the idea of taking some games off during the season as a preventive measure. He’s even open to the idea of DHing once a week if it will keep his legs healthy.
“If it keeps me on the field I’ll do it,” he said.
Longoria and his girl friend Jamie Edmondson are expecting their first child, a girl, on April 1. He said he hopes to be able to play Opening Day, but will miss the game if he’s needed in the delivery room.