Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Locals make ESPN150 list
Posted Apr 17, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 17, 2012 at 09:51 PM
ESPN has released it’s list of who it considers the nation’s top 150 football recruits for the class of 2013 and Wharton rising senior cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III is No. 4 overall and No. 1 for his position.
The 5-foot-11, 181-pound Hargreaves is the son of South Florida assistant football coach Vernon Hargreaves II and, among other remarks, the ESPN scouting report says:
“Son of a college coach and it shows. Hargreaves may be one of the more complete and ready to play corners we have seen in recent years. Possesses all the ideal attributes you look for in cornerback prospect aside from size but he’s developing there.”
Hargreaves, the area’s lone 5-star recruit on the ESPN list, played several positions besides cornerback last fall for the Wildcats and is currently running track, where he specializes in the long jump. Last season, he accounted for more than 500 yards of total offense, scored 10 TDs, recorded 49 tackles, three interceptions and blocked three kicks.
Joining Hargreaves in the top 150 from Hillsborough County are Armwood safety Leon McQuay III, who is No. 34, Armwood athlete/wide receiver Alvin Bailey, who is No. 49, Jesuit wide receiver Travis Johnson (No. 79) and Tampa Bay Tech receiver/defensive back Richard Benjamin (No. 102).
By position, McQuay is the nation’s No. 3 safety according to ESPN, Bailey is the No. 5 athlete, Johnson the No. 9 receiver and Benjamin is the No. 11 receiver.
Other county players making the ESPN lists by position include Armwood “dual threat” quarterback Darryl Richardson (No. 5). Plant offensive tackle Richy Klepal (No. 13) and Hillsborough defensive end Jordan Sherit (No. 16).