Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Lobaton injures right shoulder
Posted Apr 12, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 12, 2012 at 06:32 PM
DETROIT Catcher Jose Lobaton hurt his shoulder while trying to catch Tigers catcher Alex Avila stealing second in the fifth inning. He kept playing but said his shoulder hurt while throwing the ball back to RHP Jeff Niemann.
Jose Molina replaced Lobaton in the sixth inning.
Lobaton said he was examined by a team doctor and was told the injury is to a muscle.
“(The doctor) said it’s not going to be so bad, but I don’t know,” Lobaton said. “I’ve got to wait to see how my shoulder reacts (Friday). I hope its nothing.”
So do the Rays, who are thin at that position. If Lobaton lands on the disabled list the candidates to be called up are Nevin Ashley and Craig Albernaz. Chris Gimenez is on the Durham disabled list with a groin injury.
Lobaton said he doesn’t think the injury is similar to the one he suffered while playing winter ball. This injury is more of a pinch in the back of his shoulder.
“I don’t really know if it’s going to be a couple days, if it’s going to be a week,” he said. “I don’t really know.”