Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Lima bids farwell, Brandon football job officially open
Posted Jan 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Jan 27, 2012 at 04:53 PM
John Lima has officially submitted his paperwork to resign as Brandon High’s football coach, Eagles athletic director Tibor Kovacs confirmed Friday. The position should be posted later today on the school district’s web site job board and Brandon is expected to begin interviews early next month, Kovacs said.
In December, just before the holiday break, Kovacs and the school’s administration told Lima it was “moving in another direction” and would seek another coach for the 2012 season. This came despite Lima leading Brandon into the playoffs this fall as the runner-up in Class 7A-District 8 and a 5-6 record.
Lima is a two-time winer of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame’s Coach of the Year Award. He has coached Brandon the past six seasons, compiling a 31-35 record. Lima’s teams made the playoffs four times, in 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011.
On the Brandon football team web site, Lima posted this farewell letter to players, parents and supporters of Brandon football.
Dear Players & Parents,
After taking time to sort out all the details and angles regarding my job as Brandon’s Head Football Coach, I have finally decided that it is in everyone’s best interest for me to resign. I am still teaching at Brandon and will follow thru with my commitment to our teams’ seniors.
The best thing your players can do is stay together and have a great off-season, and welcome the new coaches with a great attitude. You players have won 16 games in the last 2 years because of the collective drive you’ve brought to our workouts, practices and games. Keep doing that so you can continue the success you started.
I want to thank all of the players and coaches at Brandon over the last six years, for making my times here some of the very best of my life. I am leaving with great memories, great friendships and a lot of pride in what we accomplished here.
I am an Eagle for Life.