Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Lightning sign Meszaros to a six-year deal
Posted Aug 30, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM
This doesn’t come as any kind of a great surprise, but the Lightning have agreed to a contract with defenseman Andrej Meszaros, whom the team acquired from Ottawa on Friday.
I don’t have all the particulars as of yet, but the deal is worth $24 million over six years, and the deal is backloaded with his salary for the 2008-09 season set at $2.5 million, which is the salary the Senators were offering him. Of course, the salary cap hit will average out to $4 million per season, which essentially is right about what the combined cap hit of Alex Picard and Filip Kuba would have been.
I’m going to give a call to Meszaros to get some of his thoughts on the subject. Look for that a little bit later at this web page and in Sunday’s newspaper.