Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Lightning sign Meszaros to a six-year deal
Posted Aug 30, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM
This doesn’t come as any kind of a great surprise, but the Lightning have agreed to a contract with defenseman Andrej Meszaros, whom the team acquired from Ottawa on Friday.
I don’t have all the particulars as of yet, but the deal is worth $24 million over six years, and the deal is backloaded with his salary for the 2008-09 season set at $2.5 million, which is the salary the Senators were offering him. Of course, the salary cap hit will average out to $4 million per season, which essentially is right about what the combined cap hit of Alex Picard and Filip Kuba would have been.
I’m going to give a call to Meszaros to get some of his thoughts on the subject. Look for that a little bit later at this web page and in Sunday’s newspaper.