Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Lightning sign Meszaros to a six-year deal
Posted Aug 30, 2008 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 PM
This doesn’t come as any kind of a great surprise, but the Lightning have agreed to a contract with defenseman Andrej Meszaros, whom the team acquired from Ottawa on Friday.
I don’t have all the particulars as of yet, but the deal is worth $24 million over six years, and the deal is backloaded with his salary for the 2008-09 season set at $2.5 million, which is the salary the Senators were offering him. Of course, the salary cap hit will average out to $4 million per season, which essentially is right about what the combined cap hit of Alex Picard and Filip Kuba would have been.
I’m going to give a call to Meszaros to get some of his thoughts on the subject. Look for that a little bit later at this web page and in Sunday’s newspaper.