Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Let’s play nine, eh?
Posted Mar 24, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Mar 24, 2008 at 11:34 AM
The Pirates return to Al Lang Field, hoping to get in more than two innings this time around after Saturday’s rainout. The forecast looks clear on that front, so we should be good for some baseball with Opening Day looming a week from today.
It’s getting to be crunch time with the roster. There weren’t any cuts this morning, but the team has saved most of its roster paring this spring until after games, so perhaps something will come along later. If nothing else, we should know something more about Ben Zobrist’s status to open the season. Starting on the disabled list would seem the most likely possibility, with back-dating allowing him to be eligible for the first weekend of the regular season.
Updating after Maddon’s pre-BP chat: Nothing yet on Zobrist, but Maddon said Chad Orvella and Kurt Birkins are “more than likely” headed to the disabled list to open the season. Scott Kazmir played catch again this morning and the Rays allegedly are nearing some sort of locked-in rehab schedule for him, for what that’s worth.
Here are the lineups for today’s tilt:
Also scheduled to pitch: Balfour and Dohmann
Nyjer Morgan CF
Jack Wilson SS
Jason Bay LF
Adam LaRoche DH
Ryan Doumit C
Xavier Nady RF
Jose Bautista 3B
Doug Mientkiewicz 1B
Luis Rivas 2B
Matt Morris P