Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Wharton athletes sign NLI’s
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta names Hargreaves top defensive back in the country
- Rays @ Jays: Cobb looking for 5th win
- FACA Baseball Classic Rosters announced
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Leaf putting out Best of Hockey in March
Posted Jan 16, 2013 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM
It’s good to read about news from hockey camps with players rounding into shape, rather than plowing through articles about stalled negotiations and lockouts.
Yes, hockey is back. The Lightning open their season Saturday night against Washington.
Card companies are gearing up, too. Upper Deck released its SP Game Used Hockey set on Tuesday, and execs there must be thrilled with the timing of their product release.
Leaf is getting into the act, too, announcing a March release of its 2013 Best of Hockey set. A box of “Best of” will contain only two cards — one graded card (or a redemption card) and a sketch card.
The redemption card possibilities are varied. For example, Leaf notes on its sell sheet that redemptions could be for sealed boxes of Upper Deck Cup from 2005-06 and beyond; sealed vintage packs from the 1979-80 season to the present; graded rookie cards; autograph, relic or autograph/relic cards; and graded vintage cards, including those of Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr.
The sketch cards will be “hand-drawn or painted” 1/1 cards of a hockey legend, superstar or highly rated rookie. Leaf is also promising randomly inserted 1/1 autograph sketch cards of Howe.
There will be two cards to a box, and three boxes to a case.
Not sure of the pricing yet for hockey, but here’s an idea of what Leaf’s other “Best of” cards are going for: football was selling in the $200 range, baseball in the $250, and basketball was going for $389.