Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Keppinger to return to active roster Friday
Posted Jun 21, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 21, 2012 at 06:41 PM
WASHINGTON Jeff Keppinger is on his way to Philadelphia tonight and will rejoin the Rays in time for Friday’s series opener against the Phillies.
The infielder, who will miss his 29th Rays game tonight because of a broken right big toe suffered May 19, finished his minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Triple A Durham.
The Rays picked up infielder Brooks Conrad off waivers from Milwaukee earlier today. Rays executive vice president of baseball Andrew Friedman said before tonight’s game with the Nationals that he doesn’t know what the immediate plans are for Conrad.
Conrad, who played primarily second and third base during his major league career, will add depth somewhere in the organization, whether it is at Durham or on the major league roster.
Friedman said the addition of Conrad should not be interpreted that Evan Longoria will miss more time than expected because of his left hamstring injury.