Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Jackson has few peers in Buc history
Posted Aug 1, 2012 by Ira Kaufman
Updated Aug 1, 2012 at 03:12 PM
By IRA KAUFMAN
TAMPA—The Buccaneers have never had a wide receiver quite like Vincent Jackson.
Keyshawn Johnson came close to matching Jackson’s 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame, but Johnson was not considered a downfield threat as a Buccaneer. He didn’t possess Jackson’s straight-line speed or quickness out of breaks.
Joey Galloway was one of the NFL’s fastest players during his five-year tenure as a Buccaneer, but he wasn’t overly big and he lacked Jackson’s leaping ability.
If training camp is any indication, Jackson’s impact on the Bucs will be immediate and significant. He caught everything in sight until Wednesday, when the former Charger was guilty of a few drops.
Still, new head coach Greg Schiano appears thrilled with the 29-year-old free agent, who averaged 18.4 yards per catch last season, tops for any AFC player with more than 43 receptions.
“No doubt,’’ Schiano said when asked if Jackson has raised the bar for Tampa Bay’s young group of wideouts. “It’s clear when you have a guy as talented as Vincent is who works as hard as Vincent works, that’s a nice combination because it’s a great example for the guys.’‘