Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
J.P. Howell headed to the Dodgers
Posted Jan 4, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM
LHP J.P. Howell confirmed to the Tampa Tribune on Friday night that he agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
ESPN.com reported the contract is for almost $3 million in base salary, plus performance bonuses.
Howell, 29, had a 3.04 ERA in 50.1 innings last season as a reliever for the Rays, and left-handed hitters had a .200 batting average against him.
Howell was 21-23 with 21 saves and a 4.42 ERA in seven seasons with Tampa Bay.