Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
ITG’s Between The Pipes will showcase goalies
Posted Mar 23, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 23, 2012 at 07:43 PM
The current NHL regular season ends April 7, and the road to the Stanley Cup begins shortly after that. So by the time In The Game releases its 10th edition of Between the Pipes set on May 3, interest in hockey should be peaking.
Any NHL fan will tell you that a goaltender on his game is crucial to a team’s chances of winning the Cup. When the Lightning won it nearly a decade ago (has it really been that long? Yes ... ), they were helped by the netminding skills of Nikolai Khabibulin.
So this is a perfect set for hockey fans to enjoy as the Stanley Cup playoffs enter the month of May. Between the Pipes will contain 18 packs to a hobby box, with nine cards to a pack. There will be 200 base cards, with goaltenders from all professional leagues. The first 63 base cards will be Future Star cards of goalies from the AHL and CHL.
Cards 64 through 99 will be Stars of the Game cards, and other configurations will honor goaltenders from different decades, U.S. stars and Canadian heroes. Expansion Tandems, International Pioneers and a One Game Wonder card will round out the base se..
In The Game came up with a creative way to display its decoy cards. The decoy cards are the blank, thick white cards inserted into packs to thwart pack searchers from finding the key relic cards in a box full of packs and buying them. Random, honest purchase is so much better.
Each decoy card in Between the Pipes will have an image on its front, which, when put together into nine-pocket pages will create blow-ups of some of the goalies contained in the product. Nice idea.
The relic cards look imaginative, and the jersey swatches seem to be a nice size. The AHL and CHL patch cards look nice, too.
There is plenty of variety in this set to hold the interest of set builders, insert chasers, relic fans and rookie lovers. It should be a fun set to collect.