Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
ITG’s Between The Pipes will showcase goalies
Posted Mar 23, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 23, 2012 at 07:43 PM
The current NHL regular season ends April 7, and the road to the Stanley Cup begins shortly after that. So by the time In The Game releases its 10th edition of Between the Pipes set on May 3, interest in hockey should be peaking.
Any NHL fan will tell you that a goaltender on his game is crucial to a team’s chances of winning the Cup. When the Lightning won it nearly a decade ago (has it really been that long? Yes ... ), they were helped by the netminding skills of Nikolai Khabibulin.
So this is a perfect set for hockey fans to enjoy as the Stanley Cup playoffs enter the month of May. Between the Pipes will contain 18 packs to a hobby box, with nine cards to a pack. There will be 200 base cards, with goaltenders from all professional leagues. The first 63 base cards will be Future Star cards of goalies from the AHL and CHL.
Cards 64 through 99 will be Stars of the Game cards, and other configurations will honor goaltenders from different decades, U.S. stars and Canadian heroes. Expansion Tandems, International Pioneers and a One Game Wonder card will round out the base se..
In The Game came up with a creative way to display its decoy cards. The decoy cards are the blank, thick white cards inserted into packs to thwart pack searchers from finding the key relic cards in a box full of packs and buying them. Random, honest purchase is so much better.
Each decoy card in Between the Pipes will have an image on its front, which, when put together into nine-pocket pages will create blow-ups of some of the goalies contained in the product. Nice idea.
The relic cards look imaginative, and the jersey swatches seem to be a nice size. The AHL and CHL patch cards look nice, too.
There is plenty of variety in this set to hold the interest of set builders, insert chasers, relic fans and rookie lovers. It should be a fun set to collect.