Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Isringhausen goes on 60-day DL
Posted Jun 14, 2009 by Tribune Sports
Updated Jun 14, 2009 at 01:10 PM
ST. PETERSBURG—The Rays are calling the injury sustained by reliever Jason Isringhausen an elbow strain, but it’s obvious they think it’s worse.
They placed him on the 60-day disabled list Sunday, making room for reliever Winston Abreu on the 40-man roster. Abreu, who was selected from Triple-A Durham, is supposed to join the team by game time today.
Isringhausen, who stepped off the mound in obvious pain after throwing a wild pitch in the ninth inning Saturday night, will undergo an MRI tomorrow.
Abreu, 32, is a longtime minor leaguer who didn’t fare too well in brief stints with Baltimore and Washington. But he has dazzling numbers at Durham: 3-0 with a 1.41 ERA in 23 games. Opponents hit .128 off him, the seventh best mark in all of the minors.
Also today, manager Joe Maddon confirmed the team plans to bring shortstop Jason Bartlett back for Tuesday’s game at Colorado. Bartlett will play one more game for Class A Charlotte today.