Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Posted Mar 4, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Here are this morning’s updates on the injured Rays:
3B Evan Longoria (swollen right hand) said he will likely return to the lineup Tuesday.
“Maybe tomorrow, probably Tuesday for sure,” he said.
LHP Matt Moore (mid lower abdomen strain) said his bullpen Saturday went well.
“It was like back to normal,” he said. “(Saturday) was really, really good.”
Moore is scheduled to throw another bullpen Monday and a round of live BP on Thursday. He’s not sure when he will pitch in a game, but it could be next weekend.
1B Carlos Peña, who is being afforded more time to get ready, is scheduled to take live BP on Monday morning. Rays manager Joe Maddon said he expects Peña to play by Wednesday.
“I’ll play before that,” Peña said. “Wednesday seems too far.”
Also, RHP Kyle Farnsworth, who is only scheduled to make seven appearances this spring, and RHP Brandon Gomes (back) are scheduled to throw live BP on Monday morning to Peña, DH Luke Scott (shoulder), minor league catcher Mark Thomas and possibly OF Sam Fuld (wrist).
Maddon said he expects Scott and Fuld to play in games by the end of the week.