Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Howell has gout
Posted Jun 23, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 23, 2011 at 06:40 PM
LHP J.P. Howell, sent back to St. Petersburg on Wednesday to have his left foot checked by Rays team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Koco Eaton, said the exam showed he has gout.
Howell is expected to rejoin the team tonight in Houston.
Howell said the problem surfaced Monday, but he pushed on, pitching in the first two games of the Rays series with Milwaukee.
They weren’t his best outings, as he surrendered a home run in Monday’s win then allowed a walk, two singles and allowed three runs to score in Tuesday’s loss.