Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Howell has gout
Posted Jun 23, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 23, 2011 at 06:40 PM
LHP J.P. Howell, sent back to St. Petersburg on Wednesday to have his left foot checked by Rays team orthopedic surgeon Dr. Koco Eaton, said the exam showed he has gout.
Howell is expected to rejoin the team tonight in Houston.
Howell said the problem surfaced Monday, but he pushed on, pitching in the first two games of the Rays series with Milwaukee.
They weren’t his best outings, as he surrendered a home run in Monday’s win then allowed a walk, two singles and allowed three runs to score in Tuesday’s loss.