Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Hillsborough’s Green to be honored with Vanguard Award
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Nov 6, 2012 at 02:21 AM
Hillsborough senior Jeremiah Green, the Tampa Tribune’s Male Track Athlete of the Year last season and starting cornerback for the Terriers’ district champion football team this fall, will be honored today by Vanguard Attorneys as the October Student Athlete of the Month in an awards ceremony at the school.
Members of the Vanguard Award Selection Committee, which is made up of attorneys from Vanguard, Tampa Bay business leaders, and educational professionals, will present Green with a $1,000 check that will be donated to the Terriers’ athletic department.
Green, last year’s national high school champion in the triple jump, recently returned from an official recruiting trip to Louisiana State University, which has offered him a full track scholarship. He also plans to visit the University of Alabama, which has also made him an offer for track, along with Texas A&M.
In football, Green has been a key performer for Hillsborough, which recently won the Class 6A-District 8 title.
Each month of the school year, the Vanguard Award Selection Committee recognizes the “Student Athlete of the Month,” with the winner receiving an award recognizing their achievements and a $1,000 check for their school’s athletic department. At the end of the school year, monthly winners are eligible for an MVP award and a check that is applied towards their college tuition.
Vanguard also recognizes outstanding area coaches. At the end of each school year, one male and one female coach is recognized for their contributions, both on and off the field. Each Coach of the Year is presented with $1,000 for their commitment to making a positive impact in the community.