Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Hillsborough’s Green to be honored with Vanguard Award
Posted Nov 6, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Nov 6, 2012 at 02:21 AM
Hillsborough senior Jeremiah Green, the Tampa Tribune’s Male Track Athlete of the Year last season and starting cornerback for the Terriers’ district champion football team this fall, will be honored today by Vanguard Attorneys as the October Student Athlete of the Month in an awards ceremony at the school.
Members of the Vanguard Award Selection Committee, which is made up of attorneys from Vanguard, Tampa Bay business leaders, and educational professionals, will present Green with a $1,000 check that will be donated to the Terriers’ athletic department.
Green, last year’s national high school champion in the triple jump, recently returned from an official recruiting trip to Louisiana State University, which has offered him a full track scholarship. He also plans to visit the University of Alabama, which has also made him an offer for track, along with Texas A&M.
In football, Green has been a key performer for Hillsborough, which recently won the Class 6A-District 8 title.
Each month of the school year, the Vanguard Award Selection Committee recognizes the “Student Athlete of the Month,” with the winner receiving an award recognizing their achievements and a $1,000 check for their school’s athletic department. At the end of the school year, monthly winners are eligible for an MVP award and a check that is applied towards their college tuition.
Vanguard also recognizes outstanding area coaches. At the end of each school year, one male and one female coach is recognized for their contributions, both on and off the field. Each Coach of the Year is presented with $1,000 for their commitment to making a positive impact in the community.