Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Rays’ new logos, unis leaked
Posted Sep 20, 2007 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Sep 21, 2007 at 12:31 PM
Every time a team makes significant changes to its logo or uniform these days, it tries to make a big splash in unveiling its new look. You know the drill—the photo op with the star player modeling the new gear, that kind of thing.
Inevitably in the online age, though, the design leaks out before the orchestrated launch. It’s easy to understand why this happens: there are just too many links in the chain between the design itself, getting it approved by MLB and distributing it to all the various manufacturers who need plenty of lead time to begin production.
The Rays—and it is the Rays, of course—became the latest to fall victim to this trend today. A message-board poster got a hold of the official logos and uniform designs and linked them up for all the world to see.
Here’s a look at the Rays’ new look, with the long-rumored motif featuring blue as the primary color with yellow highlights intact:
The Rays weren’t pleased the designs leaked out, but at least they didn’t bother denying they’re the real deal. Here’s the official statement from the team:
“We are planning an exciting celebration this fall, at which time we will launch the new marks. We will celebrate this occasion with our fans, players, and supporters. We are excited to share this event with the Tampa Bay community. It will provide the first opportunity to get a complete sense of our new look and its meaning to our organization.”
That launch is expected to occur during the week of Nov. 5, the Bucs’ bye week.
In the meantime, what are your thoughts on the new look?